Steve Singer ssinger at ca.afilias.info
Tue Jul 6 05:56:47 PDT 2010
Frank Jansen wrote:
>   Hi folks,
>
> we want to upgrade our Slony 2.0.2 to 2.0.4. The documentation states it
> is very straightforward: just compile, install on all nodes and execute
> a slonik script with the command "update functions".
> In the binary directory of slony i found a script called
> "slonik_update_nodes" which contains at the end:
> run_slonik_script($slonik, 'UPDATE FUNCTIONS');
>
> My 2 Questions are:
> 1. Can I use this slonik_update_nodes script to update the function on
> our nodes?

Yes that is the purpose of the script. It should work.

> 2. Do I have to invoke the script at the master with the id of the nodes
> as argument (e.g. slonik_update_node 1; slonik_update_node 2 and so on)
> or do i have it to run on each node itself? The docs and google dont say
> much about this (certainly dumb) question :(

The slonik_update_node script will invoke slonik which will then connect
to the node being updated.  It doesn't matter what machine you run the
script on as long as it is able to connect through the network to the
database your trying to update.   So if your master can connect to all
of your nodes then you should be fine running the script on the master.
  (The perl script should loop through each of the nodes in your .conf
file and update them).

--
Steve Singer
Afilias Canada