Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Thu Feb 11 14:45:22 PST 2010
Tory M Blue <tmblue at gmail.com> writes:
> So after last weeks discussion I'm still running into issues trying to
> remove a forwarder  and replace it with another forwarder talking to
> the remaining replica.
>
> To keep things simple.
>
> 1-2
> 1-3
> 2-4
>
> Set 1
>
> Want to remove  the forwarder (2), and since the origin is not moving,
> doesn't seem a fail-over or switchover fits the bill here.
>
> I've tried to simply drop the path of 2 and run a simple subscribe set
>  ( id=1,  provider=3, receiver=4); but the replica seems to get
> confused and without restarting slony on the replica  things don't
> seem to ever catch up.
>
> Since I'm not replacing the origin and just a forwarder, are there
> steps that I should be doing vs just issuing a subscribe to another
> forwarder?, I don't want to unsubscribe, I just want the replica to
> get it's updates from forwarder (3) now.

That troubled me, when the issue first came up.  (Rather some time
ago!!!)

The answer is fairly simple:  In order to redirect to a different data
provider, you submit SUBSCRIBE SET with the new configuration.

This is in the documentation; see:
  http://www.slony.info/documentation/reshape.html
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "ca.afilias.info")