Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Fri Aug 6 13:20:34 PDT 2010
Ulas Albayrak <ulas.albayrak at gmail.com> writes:
> After trying working on upgrading for a bit I realized that the error message
> "<stdin>:39: loading of file
> /usr/local/share/postgresql//slony1_funcs.sql: PGRES_FATAL_ERROR
> ERROR:  Slonik version: 1.2.21 != Slony-I version in PG build 1.2.15"
> refers to a discrepancy between the version of Slony-I in slonik and
> the one in the local postgresql build, something that probably won't
> be helped by me upgrading slony-I in the other node. So I guess I'm
> back to square one. I need to downgrade Slony- on the FreeBSD machine
> (or possibly upgrade the slony version in the Postgresql build, if
> that's even possible). Any ideas?

The SQL files (slony1_funcs.sql, notably) only forcibly need to be on
the node(s) where Slonik gets run, as Slonik reads them locally.

But the binary functions (e.g. - code for logging trigger activity) have
got to be installed/upgraded on each and every node, as that is certain
to get loaded locally.

In practice, the latter, when combined with the potential for
catastrophe if the SQL code stored in files is out of sync between nodes
(where the SQL *COULD* get run, though it isn't necessarily ACTUALLY
run) pretty much mandates installing everything on every node.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'ca.afilias.info';
Christopher Browne