David Kerr dmk at mr-paradox.net
Tue Nov 17 16:15:29 PST 2009
Howdy all,

I'm sure this probably comes up on the list frequently, but I couldn't find any
recent mentions of it so I thought it would be safer just to ask.  (If there's
a doc somewhere online that i missed in my googling please point me there!)

I need an HA solution for Postgres and I'm evaluating Slony / Slony + PGPool
along with some other non-replication options.

My understanding from googling is that since PGPool's replication is statement
based, which causes problems, many people pair it with Slony.

Slony handles the replication and PGPool handles the pooling and load
balancing.

Geronimo will be handling my pooling.

I like the idea of load balancing, but how does that work, exactly, since Slony
is asynchronous?

Second for an HA solution, my real concern, if the load balancing isn't viable
(so to speak) can you configure PGPool to point to one node and then fail over
to another node (automatically) ? I understand that's a PGPool specific question
but since it seems like a common config with Slony I thought i'd chance it
and ask here.

If that doesn't work, is there a reccomended / common solution in use by the
community?

Thanks

Dave