Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
Tue Aug 4 07:51:53 PDT 2009
>> If not then is there any other way???   (I cannot change the db structur=
e ).
> =

> You can look at alternatives, such as pgpool or PostgreSQL native wal log
> shipping.  Neither of those function quite the same as Slony, so you may
> have other problems.

For the record, Bucardo requires primary keys (or their equivalent) as
well for normal replication mode, but also has a mode to do non-pk
tables. However, this mode copies the *entire* table, *every* time!
Which points out the reason for both Slony and Bucardo requiring primary
keys - knowing which row has changed is the only way to safely replicate
part of the table at a time.

So your choices are to use Slony and change the db structure (quick and
painless), don't replicate those tables at all (a pontentially bad
business decision), or add a lot of complexity and overhead, and losing
some Slony specific functionality, by going to another replication solution.

-- =

Greg Sabino Mullane greg at endpoint.com
End Point Corporation
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8