cbbrowne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Wed Apr 8 09:00:48 PDT 2009
Shoaib Mir wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> While setting up Slony the other day I found this weird problem…
>
> I had like 8 schemas in my database and no schema named as ‘public’
> and while trying to setup Slony for that specific database, during the
> INIT cluster step it started giving problems like…
>
> “No schema available to setup objects”
>
> I had no idea that its just a case of not having ‘public’ schema in
> there and as soon as I added an empty public schema, everything seemed
> to work fine and I was able to setup 8 sets for my 8 schemas and
> replication worked nicely as well
>
> Is this normal or I did something wrong there?
This seems rather curious; there are no references to the "public"
schema in Slony-I itself (although there are in test scripts).

There is also no such error message within Slony-I itself as "No schema
available to setup objects".

That doesn't mean you didn't see it - just that it would have had to be
induced somewhere else.  I also don't see it in PostgreSQL code (in
HEAD, but I doubt that's material).

The only plausible thing that comes to mind would be that perhaps the
user you connected as had some vestigal reference to "public" as being
its default schema, so that when the user connected, something was left
devoid of a place to create objects that weren't tied to a specific schema.

I just revised one of the regression tests to drop out the "public"
schema, and put its tables elsewhere.  It didn't have any problems running.

So I'm suspicious that the problem you experienced may lie elsewhere.

--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "ca.afilias.info")
<http://dba2.int.libertyrms.com/>