Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Wed Sep 24 09:04:07 PDT 2008
On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 05:16:24PM +0200, Jérôme Jouanin wrote:
> Because Slony documentation warns : *"Reasonable,"** in this context, is on
> the order of a dozen servers. If the number of servers grows beyond that,
> the cost of communications increases prohibitively, and the incremental
> benefits of having multiple servers will be falling off at that point.*

I think you can be selective in who talks to whom, and keep the costs
under control.  But yes, if you add too many replicas, it'll be expensive.

> Moreover, I think a remote site could not have the same level of network
> availability than a LAN, because of external constraints. And I think that
> isolation is preferable in this case.
> Isn't it ?

The network issue, if your WAN is reasonably reliable, shouldn't be a
problem.  The isolation issue is your call, depending on your needs.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/