Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Mon Sep 8 03:43:57 PDT 2008
Hi,

I'm still researching my options regarding using slony to replicate
partitions.

I've gotten pointers in that slony doesn't really do the partitioning
per-se, but does support their replication via individual tables. (this
is OK for me)

then Christopher Brown pointed me to a link (no web-access at the
moment) and the usage of

add_empty_table_to_replication()
which I looked at the SQL and seems like based on my understanding, it
will

1) check if the set exists
(i'm a bit confused here, Does this mean that it will check if the
parent table is already currently in a replication set? How does it know
which one is the origin set? How do I call it? It has 5 field variables)
2) locks the origin table
3) check to see if the new (child) table to be replicated is empty using
a "select 1 from x limit 1"

is the add_empty_table_to_replication means that I need to manually
trigger it using slonik? (weekly child table)

replicate_partition()
This one seems more understand-able (to me)
1) it looks in pg_class for the parent table of the set
2) it gets the parent table's replications
3) calls add_empty_table_to_replication()

all in all, I still don't have much idea how to call them.

my current table schema

parent
->child_2008week1
->child_2008week2
->child_2008week3
->child_2008week50

so, I create a new replication set called "parent" and then what do I
do?

Currently, on the master, I already have these tables all set-up and
defined and I've also created these table schemas on the slave server.
Right now, I'm unsure of how to proceed.

I'll take a look at the link

http://main.slony.info/viewcvs/viewvc.cgi/slony1-engine/tests/testpartition/?pathrev=REL_1_2_STABLE

which was provided by Christopher. In the meantime, I'm sure there are
lots of people using Slony for replication of partitions, I would love
to hear experiences/caveats and any methods for making it automated.

Thanks all