Jeff Frost jeff at frostconsultingllc.com
Thu Oct 9 09:19:44 PDT 2008
I've done lots of minimized downtime postgresql upgrades with Slony, but
I now find myself with a DB that includes both tsearch2 and postgis
which needs migrating to 8.3.  I can do it with a dump/restore and using
postgis's postgis_restore.pl tool, but I'm wondering if I can do it with
Slony to minimize downtime.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Potential pitfalls I see are the pre-8.3 tsearch2 to 8.3 tsearch2 setup
and the postgis setup.

I was thinking I could mitigate this by creating the database on the 8.3
server and installing the contrib/tsearch2 functions, then using
postgis_restore.pl against a schema only dump to get the schema loaded
properly and then subscribe the new 8.3 slave.

I'll be testing this out later today or tomorrow, but if anyone already
has experiences to share, I'd love to hear about them.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner 	<jeff at frostconsultingllc.com>
Phone: 916-647-6411	FAX: 916-405-4032