René-Etienne Muscat remuscat at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 02:33:51 PST 2008
Hi everyone, I have a problem with slony replicating slowly on a particular
cluster.
This problem came up after slony replication had stopped for a weekend and
this particular cluster (replication set) had a backlog of about 3million
rows (about 1.2million on sl_log1 and 1.8million on sl_log2).
After resuming slony replication (it had a problem with a table locks), all
the replication sets resumed normally (inserting over 15,000 rows per
batch), except for this particular set.
When I examined the log for this set on the slave, I saw a lot of SYNC
events, but few fetch/delivery events, and the inserts are just about
350rows each time.
I also noted that it was giving a lot of log switch failures ("log switch to
sl_log_1 still in progress - sl_log_2 not truncated").
I first tried stopping all replication and starting replication on this
problematic set, but still replication was slow (lots of SYNC events but
very few fetch/delivery events).
I also tried to resolve the issue by stopping all replication and vacuuming
the sl_logs, without any success.
Does anyone know why this is happening? Is this normal? Can I do somthing to
speed this up?

Rene