Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Wed Nov 19 04:59:01 PST 2008
Christopher Browne wrote:
> Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com> writes:

>> So, I'm confused, but that's easy to do.  Are you saying that in the
>> version of slony we are using (1.2.14), that session_replication_role
>> does not exist, and therefore by trying to use that functionality
>> within our code, we are not accomplishing what we are trying to do?
>
> That's nearly it.
>
> In the version of Slony that you are using, *Slony* does not use
> session_replication_role, whether it exists in the PostgreSQL build or
> not.

I'm not thinking straight here.  It doesn't really matter if Slony uses
session_replication_role or not.  All we want to insure is that the
Slony triggers that are in our 'producer' still fire when we turn off
all the other triggers in our databases.

The key issue is how do we insure that the slony triggers are created
and set to 'enable always' in the same transaction.

It would be possible, but a burden to set up slony and set the triggers
manually to 'enable always' while restricting access to the databases.
The optimal solution is to be able to set up slony and get replication
running while our databases are active.  In particular, when we have a
process running that routinely turns off all triggers (hence the need to
set the slony triggers to 'enable always').

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin