Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Tue Nov 18 12:40:58 PST 2008
Christopher Browne wrote:
> Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com> writes:
>> I am revisiting this issue as it seems I may have left something out
>> of my slony solution.  Note from below we are trying to set the slony
>> triggers to 'fire always' so that we can take advantage of
>> session_replication_role.
>
> Note that this is only the case with Slony-I version 2.0, which hasn't
> yet been officially released.  (We've had rc2; I should "bake" rc3
> this afternoon so we can hopefully finalize 2.0.0 next week...)
>
> With versions 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 (and sub-versions under that), it is
> necessary to handle the "fire always" triggers via the slonik STORE
> TRIGGER command (which disappears in v2.0).
>
> So, if you're using the earlier versions of Slony-I, then
> session_replication_role isn't of any use; it didn't exist then, so
> isn't used in the earlier versions.

So, I'm confused, but that's easy to do.  Are you saying that in the
version of slony we are using (1.2.14), that session_replication_role
does not exist, and therefore by trying to use that functionality within
our code, we are not accomplishing what we are trying to do?

The underlying issue here is that we have a process that transfers data
from many databases to a master database on a regular basis.  In order
to accomplish this, this process does:

  $rvalue = session_role ($conn[$x], "session","replica");

With the intent of turning off all triggers except for those that are
set to 'enable always'?

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin