Troy Wolf troy at troywolf.com
Tue Nov 11 14:36:31 PST 2008

> I'm looking for suggestions as to the best way to verify that my single
> slave is in sync with my master.  We've had a couple of situations (self
> induced) where we've created problems for slony and therefore would like
> to provide a warm and fuzzy feeling that slony is current.

I thought I was clever and built a script that selects the most recent
timestamp from the event tables on both and compares to see that they are
within 10 seconds. It took me about 45 days to learn the hard way that this
is not enough.

So I got stupid-brute-force. I created a cron job that updates a value in a
slony'd table's column every minute to the current_timestamp. My "health"
check simply queries the subscriber's value for this column to see if it is
within the last 2 minutes.  For me, I had an appropriate table of
"parameters" where I could just create a "slony_ts" parameter and update its
value. You may not have this, so maybe you'd create a special table just for
this purpose.