Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Fri Jun 13 06:40:12 PDT 2008
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 03:26:54PM -0700, Dane Miller wrote:
> Consider the below example. Does Slony guarantee that the updated
> sequence will always appear after (or concurrently with) the result of
> the I/U/D statements on subscriber nodes?

Not necessarily.  Slony sets the sequence on the target to the value of the
sequence at the time of the sync, because there isn't any other way to look
at the sequence value.  The idea is that it's ok for a sequence to be
_ahead_ of the rest of the database, because this is consistent with the
semantics of sequences in an unreplicated database (they always advance, so
they're never-go-backwards series that possibly have gaps).

If you want this, you could probably do it using a table that is replicated
and that gets updated with currval() using a trigger or something.