Raymond O'Donnell rod at iol.ie
Tue Jan 22 05:16:40 PST 2008
On 22/01/2008 13:11, Diego Algorta Casamayou wrote:

> What usage could I give to this restored database? May I use it as a
> master in case the master died? In that case I think a failover to the
> running slave would be faster.

Well, it's a backup - no more and no less. The whole point of Slony (or
any replication system) is that you have a nearly-up-to-date copy of
your database to which you can failover if the master goes belly-up. A
backup is always going to be less current than a well-running Slony slave.

> What should I do to use it in a non-replicated environment? A staging
> environment, for example for testing purposes where I need
> production-like data.

That's what I do; as well as keeping a copy as a backup, of course. :-)

Ray.

rod at iol.ie