Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Wed Feb 27 09:03:16 PST 2008
"lio bod" <liobod.slony at gmail.com> writes:
> I got a metaphysical question.;-)
>
> In fact, it's more an internal architeture slony question :
>

> I replicate my first db following documenation ' 2. Replicating Your First Database' (http://slony.info/documentation/firstdb.html)
>
> This sample is not very precise on what command should be performed on master or slave host.
>
> I tried 'slon_start 2' on master host. I was quite sure it would failed.
>
> Nope. I'm surprised : my replication seems to be ok. Magic!
>

> What would be a good recommandation?
>
> Run 'slon_start 2' on master or on salve host?

Well, I have two answers to that, and they may differ from what you expect :-).

1.  On our systems, at Afilias, we never run slon processes on
    database servers.  We instead run all the slons centrally on an
    application server.

2.  If the choice is between master and slave, I'd be somewhat
    inclined to run both slons on the "master" server, as...

    - Life tends to be simpler if they both run on one server, as
      you can more readily manage processes on one host, and as
      log files will naturally be on one server.

    - It is essential that a slon be kept running against the master
      node, as if it is not, for a period of time, then when it
      is restarted, that entire period of time will be treated as
      One Big Long SYNC, and having such a huge SYNC is likely to
      turn out badly :-(.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ofni.sesabatadxunil" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/internet.html