Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Thu Feb 21 06:47:55 PST 2008
On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 04:30:48PM -0800, Craig James wrote:
> table ..." on one of the replicated tables.  Since TRUNCATE can't be
> handled by Slony, this lead to a duplicate-key violation in the slave
> database,

Ugh.  Note that you could do TRUNCATE via EXECUTE SCRIPT, I think.  Also, I
posted here an evil hack some time ago that allowed bulk loading across a
Slony node.  ISTR it had some bugs, but it might work as a starting point
for this sort of thing.

> Is there any way at all to block, trap, or otherwise prevent TRUNCATE of
> certain tables?

No, no more than there's some way to prevent some clever person from
performing ALTER TABLE.  I regard this as one of the most severe limitations
in Slony: it will break if you do certain things, but it can't prevent you
from doing them.