Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Wed Feb 20 08:24:15 PST 2008
Christopher Browne wrote:
> Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com> writes:
>> Andrew Sullivan wrote:

>>> Aha!  I'll bet lunch someone was doing DDL in their "shuffling data
>>> around". That is an error message telling you that a
>>> previously-planned query is
>>> looking for a now-dropped relation.  One way to get this is indeed with temp
>>> tables, but you can get it by dropping regular tables &c.  I'd have a very
>>> good look at how that procedure from last Friday worked.
>>> If you do DDL under Slony without passing it through EXECUTE SCRIPT,
>>> you
>>> _will_ get very strange results.
>> I only wish that was the problem.  Our application does not remove any
>> tables.
>
> That's not the exact implication, though.  I know we ran into this
> sort of thing on an occasion where we dropped replication from an
> "origin" node; the trouble was that query plans were expecting the
> Slony-I-defined tables to still be there.
>
> The missing relation might not be one of your tables; it might be
> something else about the schema.

So how does one track this down?  We were betting on slony for
replication.  As it stands, it's not going to happen.  Right now, we are
replicating one database in the hopes of figuring out what is going on.

More importantly, already, we have at least two tables that are out of
sync, and don't appear that they will ever get back in sync.  One table
has more records in the replication database then the primary.  I know
this is possible, but there's a difference of over 300 records and I
don't see it making up the difference.

Is it possible these are two totally different issues?

This is terribly frustrating in that it appears that many folks use
slony successfully, but we just can't get it to work and it's starting
to look like we'll have to look at other solutions.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin