Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Mon Feb 11 12:42:25 PST 2008
Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com> writes:
> Bill Moran wrote:
>>
>>> If I need to restart the postmaster on my slony replication slave,
>>> should I shut down the slony daemons first?
>> If you restart the postmaster without restarting the slons, the slons
>> will be disconnected, sleep for a bit, then reconnect and go back to
>> work.
>> So, no, you don't have to manually restart the slons.
>
> So I guess this makes me wonder why the slony documents warn you about
> connections that are not reliable.  What happens in a situation where,
> say the master node goes off line temporarily?  Don't the daemons keep
> retrying?

They will retry, and this may fill your logs with error messages.

The scenario of "unreliable connections" is a bit different; in that
case, the trouble is that the slon considers the connection to be
"live" even though it isn't.  That causes problems.  If slon considers
a dead connection to be dead, there is no confusion :-).
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ofni.sailifa.ac" "@" "enworbbc"))
<http://dba2.int.libertyrms.com/>