Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Wed Dec 3 13:21:00 PST 2008
"Josh Harrison" <joshques at gmail.com> writes:
> Can 1 database be a slave for 2 different masters?
> ie., For example I have 2 databases - 1 holding "Instittion-A" data and another database for "Institution-B" data.
> These 2 database have some common tables with the same table structure.
> Is it possible to have a Slony replication from "Institution A"  database to "SLAVE-x"
> and a slony replication from "Institution-B" database to "SLAVE-x".
> These 2 "Institution" databases wont be accessing the same data...they have their own data but can Slony replicate them in the same slave?

No, that'll be a problem.

Slony-I wants to truncate the table at the time of subscription, which
would cause a certain amount of inconvenience - you're certain to lose
one institution's set of data when you subscribe the second one.

What you could do instead, that *would* work, would be one of two
things:

  a) Create two separate tables, and combine their data together, when
     querying, by use of a VIEW.

  b) Create a parent table, and have the two tables as "children" via
     the INHERITS functionality, and get a common view, when you need
     it, via selecting from the parent table.

     http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/ddl-partitioning.html
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'linuxfinances.info';
http://linuxfinances.info/info/spreadsheets.html