Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Thu Aug 28 13:31:37 PDT 2008
On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 01:10:46PM -0700, Jennifer Spencer wrote:
> Thank you for replying!
>
> The idea of sets (duh, yeah, of course) is a good one.  I didn't clue in on that.

My turn to "duh":

> How exactly to apply that idea with two nodes (total) where node 2 is
> essentially only in place as a log-ship-creating slave?  Still have the
> problem with all-inclusive-content log files as output, right?

Right.  The log-shipping trick copies the data that arrives at that
node, which means that (alas) you have everything in one gigantic
file.  So that doesn't work.

Now, here's an incredibly ugly kludge I just thought of and haven't
tested that would make this possible.  You create a bunch more targets
on node 2, each of which subscribes to the target set.  Then you put
_those_ into echo mode.  If I remember correctly, each one will only
get the data destined to it, so you can break the sets up that way.
Essentially, you'd replicate from 1->2, and then from 2->2a, 2->2b,
&c., one target per set.  Then you deliver the pieces relevant to each
user by giving them the files for a,d,f (for instance).

That said, this makes my teeth hurt just to suggest it.  But the log
shipping today doesn't really do what you want.  I know there was some
intended work to allow filtering in 2.x.  I don't know if it got off
the ground.  Chris?

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104