salman salmanb at quietcaresystems.com
Tue Aug 26 10:56:10 PDT 2008
> It does not suck to get an RTFM if the M is written in an intelligible
> manner. The Slony documentation is horribly incomplete for people who
> are new to the system. The purpose of documentation is not to have
> people sit around for a month to figure out what works where how.

Not every project is going to be able to provide you an entry level
how-to and full support. If that is what you require, then perhaps a
commercial product is more to your liking.

> A simple scenario -- typical one! -- would go a long way in making
> Slony docs useful. I have been saying this throughout this thread:
>
> 1. Install Slony (Done. This was okay).
>
> 2. Install new instance of PG. Take a typical PG install. Include
> thoughts on installing in a NEW DIRECTORY so that it doesn't conflict
> with existing PG.
>
> 3. Do the master/slave stuff. I find it hard to believe that there is
> NO default situation. There has to be a default config, right? Even if
> the performance is bad or whatever, it at least serves as a starting
> point. This would illustrate whatever is needed for setting up
> "clusters" (a fun feast of reading) and whatnot.
>
> 4. When the new install is working, how to switch between new and old.
>
> 5. How to delete old.

This all *is* in the Slony documentation but you are also correct when
you say that it's not 'simple'. The manual assumes familiarity with
certain concepts. However, it is not too difficult to figure out what to
do with some careful reading and not simply browsing for steps.

> The "concepts" page tells me nothing. I have read it, and the ENTIRE
> slony documentation, plus some google pages here and there. Not a
> single thing that explains how to do stuff.
>
> I am not interested in being a Slony expert or a fabulous DBA. I just
> want something that does the job of letting me upgrade a DB. (I am not
> looking for regular replication, but I was forwarded from the
> PG-GENERAL list to come here and ask how to use Slony to perform the
> anal experience that is the PG upgrade. I am not impressed so far!)

(Assuming you already have slony installed and configured properly)
1) Install the new version of postgres on your machine.
2) Create the appropriate users and databases in the new instance.
3) Dump schema for your database from the old PG instance, into the new
instance using pg_dump
4) Add new PG instance to your slony master and create the appropriate
sets, subscriptions, etc.
5) Wait for the data to sync
6) Stop all write activity to the old database and switch master and
slave roles between your two PG instances
7) Shutoff old PG and put the new instance up on the same port/IP as the
old one

I believe that pretty much covers all the steps.

-salman