Martin Eriksson m.eriksson at albourne.com
Tue Aug 26 00:02:33 PDT 2008
Hi,

slony can do that for you yes, where you have a maximum downtime of
maybe 2-6 minutes. (if you want to keep new database on same machine and
on same port)

I'm currently doing this migration though from 8.2.4 -> 8.3.3 though im
doing it on 5 nodes..

pg_hba.conf is more or less the same between version so no problem
there, for the postgresql.conf there are some changes.. so that you will
need to investigate a bit more, you cant just copy over the
postgresql.conf (the pg-General should know more on this)

I've written a rather detailed document on how to do migration using
slony, though it does contain some company specific steps so I can not
just put it out there, i would need to clean it up a bit first. Will see
if i got the time time to do it today or tomorrow.

but if you never heard of slony I would recommend read up a bit on it
first to understand the fundamentals.

regards
Martin