Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Thu Apr 17 08:58:18 PDT 2008
James T Mugauri <james at africonnect.co.zm> writes:
> Any idea how to solve the following problem when initialising the cluster?
>
> JamesTM

How your name is spelled doesn't seem like a solvable problem ;-).
(If you've got a problem with it, I have no suggestions!)

But seriously, seems your problem is thus, that something is reporting:

    ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type timestamp

You have evidently set your timezone to something that PostgreSQL does
not recognize.

This issue is documented in the "Best Practices" portion of the admin
guide:

   http://linuxdatabases.info/info/bestpractices.html

"Principle: Use an unambiguous, stable time zone such as UTC or GMT.

Users have run into problems with slon(1) functioning properly when
their system uses a time zone that PostgreSQL was unable to recognize
such as CUT0 or WST. It is necessary that you use a timezone that
PostgreSQL can recognize correctly. It is furthermore preferable to
use a time zone where times do not shift around due to Daylight
Savings Time.

The "geographically unbiased" choice seems to be TZ=UTC or TZ=GMT, and
to make sure that systems are "in sync" by using NTP to synchronize
clocks throughout the environment.

See also Section 3.4.
[http://linuxfinances.info/info/requirements.html#TIMES]"

Hope that helps!