James T Mugauri james at africonnect.co.zm
Wed Apr 16 04:10:56 PDT 2008
Hi, all

Hope this is the right forum for this. I have recently installed Slony
1.2.13 on Postgres 8.3.1 for CentOS5. I work for an ISP with Wi-Max
presence in several areas in an African country. We are trying to
implement centralised customer billing and relationship management while
enabling each geographic area to have independence in terms of
Authorization and Authentication of customer devices... These latter
functions are carried out by a Motorola-developed application running on
a Postgres database.

This interfaces with the CRM and billing application on one hand for
authentication et al, and Wi-Max base stations for Accounting on the
other hand.. Obviously, with 3 (and soon more) areas in operation, these
have to all syncronise the accounting data with the head office database
(one of the 3) while sourcing Authentication and Authorisation details
from the same head office 'mothership'.

This suggests to me that while i can have all 3 in the same replication
set for the purposes of authentication/authorisation, I have to set up
separate replication sets for accounting data as follows:

1. Each satellite is the master node of a replication set with the head
office where, crucially
2. The head office also allows local updates to itself

Would this work without undue fuss, or do i have to find a more
intricate solution (e.g. creating a 4th database which will be slave to
all and master of the master, so to speak?)

Hope for some pointers from y'all.. I'm sure someone's done this before

Regards,

James T Mugauri

--
Systems Development Engineer
AfriConnect (Zambia) Limited

In every work of genius we recognize our own rejected thoughts; they come back to us with a certain alienated majesty.
  - Ralph Waldo Emerson