Jan Wieck JanWieck at Yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 17:24:53 PDT 2008
On 4/4/2008 6:06 PM, Craig James wrote:
> Why should programmers waste their time doing stuff that the computer can do?  Like creating Slony's configuration files?

Very simple, because in a Slony replication cluster, it is possible to
have different nodes being origin and/or subscriber of different sets as
well as have quite different access patterns per node which results in
different schema requirements (like extra indexes, views, custom
triggers etc.). Sure, for some users it would be nice to have tools like
the altperl stuff, that can easily generate those "me master, you slave"
configuration files. However, if there is so broad need for them, why
does nobody bother maintaining them?

Jan