Jeff Frost jeff at frostconsultingllc.com
Wed Apr 2 20:16:39 PDT 2008
On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, Craig James wrote:

> Jeff Frost wrote:

>>> But what am I looking for?  There are no other slony libraries -- this
>>> system has never had any other version of Slony on it.
>>>
>>> If I remove xxid.so, and everything else slony-related in
>>> /usr/local/pgsql/*, INCLUDING all of the sql files in
>>> /usr/local/pgsql/share, and then
>>>
>>> cd slony-1.2.13
>>> make install
>>>
>>> then all the files are restored, including xxid.so.  But the problem
>>> persists -- same error.
>>
>> Yah, but somewhere there is a 1.2.9 version of xxid.so.  Does your system
>> have a locate db on it?
>>
>> try: locate xxid.so ?
>>
>> When I've had trouble finding this in the past, it has been installed in
>> /usr/lib64/pgsql and I was looking in /usr/lib/pgsql or vice versa.  It's
>> there somewhere.  If all else fails use find:
>>
>> find / -name xxid.so -print
>>
>> I believe there is also slony1_funcs.so to look for.
>
> Right, good idea, but I tried that and the only two copies on the system are
> the Slony 1.2.13 source, and the installed version in /usr/local/pgsql.
>
> $ find / -name xxid.so 2>/dev/null
> /usr/local/pgsql/lib/xxid.so
> /emi/src/external/slony1-1.2.13/src/xxid/xxid.so
>
> $ find / -name slony1_funcs.so 2>/dev/null
> /usr/local/pgsql/lib/slony1_funcs.so
> /emi/src/external/slony1-1.2.13/src/backend/slony1_funcs.so
>
> I guess I have to keep going back to what I started with: Version 1.2.9 is
> NOT, and has never been, on this system.  The error is in the 1.2.13 source
> distribution, as far as I can tell.  It's compiled fresh, there is no other
> Slony, and when I remove everything and start over, the same error happens.
>
> Where could this be in the source?  Is there some configuration file?

What about the slave(s)?  You'll receive this error when you're subscribing
the slave if the slave's .so files aren't the same.  Maybe you're looking on
the wrong server.

You're correct in assuming you should be able to remove the files, then make
install and be good.  Of course that has to happen on every one of the servers
that will be part of the cluster and the slony versions have to be the same on
all those servers.

BTW, are you using installing slony 1.2.13 in the default locations?

--
Jeff Frost, Owner 	<jeff at frostconsultingllc.com>
Phone: 650-780-7908	FAX: 650-649-1954