Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Wed Oct 24 06:43:54 PDT 2007
On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 11:46:04PM -0400, Ouray Viney wrote:

> 1.
> The location was in /usr/lib/pgsql/xxid.so and the permissions were fine:
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> 2.
> The location of libdir in my installation:
> [root at pgmaster ~]# pg_config | grep LIBDIR
> LIBDIR = /usr/lib
           ^^^^^^^^

This is your problem, I think.  Because

> ERROR:  access to library "$libdir/xxid" is not allowed
                             ^^^^^^^

should expand to /usr/lib/xxid.  Which doesn't exist.  I'm not sure
why it's happening this way, but you could perhaps do something about
it by making a symlink.

> This leads me to my next question; Why doesn't PostgreSQL not
> translate/evaluate the variable $libdir?

It does.  See above.

> Here is a list of the binary versions that I have installed (Just
> to make it clear what software versions I am using

I think someone who knows more about the packaging stuff will have to
speak to this.  I don't use RPMs if I can avoid it.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
"The year's penultimate month" is not in truth a good way of saying
November.
		--H.W. Fowler