David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 15:42:42 PDT 2007
On 10/19/07, JP Fletcher <jpfletch at ca.afilias.info> wrote:
> David Rees wrote:
> > 1. Stop all slon daemons.
> > 2. Drop Pg 8.2 node from cluster.
> > 3. Stop Pg 8.2
> > 4. Restart Pg 8.3 on the old port
> > 5. Update slon config for old port.
> > 6. Update sl_path info how???
> > 7. Restart slon daemons
> >
> > Step 6 is where I get a bit unsure/lost. It looks like there is
> > connection information stored in the sl_path table and that should be
> > updated before starting up the slon daemons.
>
> What is it that you think should be updated?  When you stop your 8.2
> instance, and bring up the 8.3 instance on the port formerly occupied by
> 8.2, the conninfo in sl_path will match the 8.3 instance.

Right, but the 8.2 instance is node 2, the 8.3 instance is node 3.
Step 2 includes dropping node 2 from the cluster.

You could also ignore the fact that node 2 is going away for example,
and lets just say I wanted to change the port that node 3 is running
on... what's the "best practice" for doing so?

Updating sl_path is easy enough (only have 3 databases replicated on
this test setup, so that is 6 sl_path tables that need updating), I
just imagined that there would have been a more straight forward way
since everything else in slony is so straight forward. :-)

-Dave