Martin Eriksson m.eriksson at albourne.com
Thu Oct 11 00:21:02 PDT 2007
well, i guess i've I'd looked a bit harder at the documentation i would
have been able to answer this without bothering this mailing list.. :/

from documentation:

    *

      There are various sorts of objects that don't have triggers that
      Slony-I /doesn't/ replicate, such as stored functions, and it is
      quite likely to cause you grief if you propagate updates to them
      associated with a replication set where EXECUTE SCRIPT will lock a
      whole lot of tables that didn't really need to be locked.

      If you are propagating a stored procedure that /isn't/ used all
      the time (such that you'd care if it was briefly out of sync
      between nodes), then you could simply submit it to each node using
      psql, making no special use of Slony-I.

      If it /does/ matter that the object be propagated at the same
      location in the transaction stream on all the nodes, then you but
      no tables need to be locked, then you need to use EXECUTE SCRIPT,
      locking challenges or no

so guess that answers my problem.. I'll probably take the whole cluster
off-line for the update make sure functions are not used and
drop/create/modify on all nodes separately... a bit of a pain.. but
doable..

Martin Eriksson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Been using Slony for a while but recently we decided to use a bit more
> of its features for our release process (re-creating nodes is just
> getting too time consuming)
>
> so we keep track of db changes and once release come we just use the
> slonik_execute_script with our update script. This release we modified
> public functions. (droping, modifying, creating)
>
> and looks like slonik statement parser cant handle it.. just get:
> DDL Statement failed - PGRES_FATAL_ERROR
> when the all the update file contain is
> "drop function my_function(integer,integer);
>
> using Slony 1.2.11 and postgres 8.2.4
>
> I assume this a bug, and being worked on any suggestions for a work
> around?
>
> cheers
> Martin

*_____________________
Martin Eriksson*
/Albourne Partners (Cyprus) Ltd
Maria House, 1 Avlonos Street, Nicosia 1075, Cyprus
P: +357 22 750652| F: +357 22 750654
m.eriksson at albourne.com
www.albourne.com <http://www.albourne.com>

If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the
sender, delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose, copy,
retain or redistribute it. Please visit
http://www.albourne.com/email.html
<http://www.albourne.com/email.html>for important additional terms
relating to this e-mail.