Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Wed May 16 08:00:49 PDT 2007
On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 09:05:52AM -0400, Al Rosenthal wrote:

> My question, is there any way of adjusting settings to make slony
> more tolerant?  Or am I looking in the wrong direction?  I know I

Slony is just using standard PostgreSQL connections.  So your problem
basically comes down to your connection failing and not picking up
where it left off.  This suggests to me that the network isn't really
working the way it ought to be.  The connection is not just getting
interrupted, but the reconnection seems not to be picking back up the
same connection, which means that you don't get TCP retries and the
like.  What happens in that case is that you have to wait for the TCP
timeout to happen, at which point Postgres will notice the connection
broke.  You could lower that timeout in the operating system, I
suppose.

That said, Slony was really designed to work in a
high-availability, data-centre-type environment: it's really not
intended to be used across flakey networks (and just about every
wireless network I can think of falls into the flakey category to
some degree).  I'd think twice about using it like you're trying to
do.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
A certain description of men are for getting out of debt, yet are
against all taxes for raising money to pay it off.
		--Alexander Hamilton