Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Thu Mar 22 12:31:02 PDT 2007
"Victoria Parsons" <victoria.parsons at streamshield.com> writes:
> pg_listener does not have any indexes, so no re-indexing to be done.

Right; that's good news.

> I cannot find the function you use pg_relation_size, but I can see the
> rel_pages in pg_class stays at 1 for 'pg_listener' even though every
> vacuum claims to be reducing the pages from some large number to 1. Is
> the vacuum output lying to me? The utput below says it is reducing pages
> from 97 to 1 but the data in pg_class shows it was only ever 1 page of
> data.
> sss=# select * from pg_listener order by listenerpid;
>          relname         | listenerpid | notification
> -------------------------+-------------+--------------
>  _sss_repcluster_Node_3  |        5637 |            0
>  _sss_repcluster_Confirm |        5637 |            0
>  _sss_repcluster_Event   |        5637 |            0
>  _sss_repcluster_Node_3  |        5644 |            0
>  _sss_repcluster_Node_2  |        7730 |            0
>  _sss_repcluster_Confirm |        7730 |            0
>  _sss_repcluster_Event   |        7730 |            0
>  _sss_repcluster_Node_2  |        7732 |            0
>  _sss_repcluster_Restart |        7866 |            0
>  _sss_repcluster_Event   |        7866 |            0
>  _sss_repcluster_Node_1  |        7873 |            0
>  _sss_repcluster_Node_1  |        7874 |            0
> (12 rows)

Unfortunately, it's common that whenever an event goes out to indicate
(for instance) a new SYNC, all of the tuples associated with the node
get updated.  The more nodes there are, the more "listening" that
happens.

In Slony-I 1.2, there is an attempt to generate less dead tuples in
pg_listener; things should improve there.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'ca.afilias.info';
<http://dba2.int.libertyrms.com/>