Andreas Kostyrka andreas at kostyrka.org
Thu Mar 22 01:36:30 PDT 2007
* Tomeh, Husam <htomeh at firstam.com> [070322 09:07]:
>  I strongly disagree with you. Any decent RDBMS such as Postgres should and I think will have eventually a decent upgrade and migration tool rather than using the conventional time-consuming dump and reload. What if your db is in terabyte size like many enterprise-level ones nowadays!  I think this an essential tool for enterprise postgres implementations.
I strongly disagree with you too :)

Well, most production setups should have some form of replication,
because hardware can fail.

Basically, you need to deal with the hardware failure case anyway, or
you can accept the dump&reload waiting time anyway (because that's
what you would be doing after a hardware failure). Now some nice
replication packages like slony allow for easy upgrading.
Plus as an addon, you get an exercise in switchover handling, that you
can plan ahead.

Andreas