Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Thu Mar 15 12:02:22 PDT 2007
Andrew Hammond wrote:
> On 3/15/07, Andrew Sullivan <andrew at ca.afilias.info> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 11:43:13AM -0700, Andrew Hammond wrote:
>> > head, but in all seriousness, is there any reason not to have an RSS
>> > feed for announcements?
>>
>> Well, one reason is that it's another piece of infrastructure that has
>> to be maintained by someone.  Are you volunteering?
>
> Sure.
>
> Andrew
FYI, our "news" feed comes in a manifestly simple fashion.

It is generated from the contents of the file:

slony1-www/content/news.txt

The file looks like the following; each news item consists of:
1.  A line like "---"
2.  A Title
3.  A URL for that title to point to
4.  A date
5.  The name of the news-maker
6.  A series of lines of HTML, none of which consist of "---"

An idea would be to check this out of CVS on a regular basis, and
transform that into some form of RSS stream.

One approach would be to do so on main.slony.info, so that we'd run
"make" in the content directory every so often so as to regenerate the
XML file that someone could then point to.

Another would be that you could do this where ever you like, doing a
"CVS update" every so often, and regenerating your XML file, and we
could publish a URL to your server...

Sample:
---
Slony-I Quick downloads
http://main.slony.info/downloads
2007-02-28
Chris Browne
Slony-1 1.2.7 <a
href="http://main.slony.info/downloads/1.2/slony1-1.2.7.tar.bz2">engine</a>
<a
href="http://main.slony.info/downloads/1.2/slony1-1.2.7-docs.tar.bz2">documentation</a>
Slony-1 1.1.7 <a
href="http://main.slony.info/downloads/1.1/slony1-1.1.7.tar.bz2">engine</a>
<!-- Please keep this item at the top of the news list -->
---
Slony-I Release - 1.2.7
http://main.slony.info/downloads/1.2
2007-03-07
Chris Browne
We are pleased to announce the release of version 1.2.7, which may be
found <a
href="http://main.slony.info/downloads/1.2/slony1-1.2.7.tar.bz2">here</a>.
There is also a <a
href="http://main.slony.info/downloads/1.2/slony1-1.2.7-docs.tar.bz2">Documentation
tarball </a>.

<P> This release fixes several problems that were found in the 1.2 stream:
<ul>
<li> Add remote_listen_timeout parameter to slon.conf

sl_event if a node has been out of commission for a long time (several
days)

<li> Resolve bug #1623

a logging printf to blow up.  Changed the logging level so that detail
is only shown at level 4, which won't bite people by default.

<li> UNINSTALL NODE failures now show node # in slonik error messages

<P> If a user ran several UNINSTALL NODE requests in a single slonik
script, and one of them broke, you'd have no ready way to tell which
node this failed on.  Added code to report the node # where it failed.

<li> Added test to test1 for function generate_sync_event() and
make_function_strict

<li> Added "v81" files (for slony1_base.v81.sql, slony1_funcs.v81.sql,
xxid.v81.sql), necessary to support 8.1 "ALTER FUNCTION ... STRICT";

<li> Fixed quoting problem in generate_sync_event()

<li> Added functionality to UPDATE FUNCTIONS to make xxidin() function
STRICT; the absence of this caused postmaster to fall over when
processing MOVE SET event in PG v8.2

<li> Added documentation of an issue surrounding NULLABLE columns to the
log analysis chapter of the admin guide and to the UPGRADING docs.

<li> When you run MOVE SET, this populates sl_setsync for the moved set
  even on nodes that are not subscribed.  If, subsequent to doing this,
  you attempt a SUBSCRIBE SET for a formerly-unsubscribed node, the
  subscription will fail right at the end when the slon tries to insert a
  new value to sl_setsync.

<P>   The fix: DELETE from sl_setsync immediately before the INSERT.  This
  will silently blow away any 'offending' sl_setsync row.

<li> Log shipping fix - storage of sl_setsync_offline call had a wrong
  printf type; change from %d to %s
</ul>
---
Slony-I Release - 1.1.7
http://main.slony.info/downloads/1.1
2007-03-07
Chris Browne
We are pleased to announce the release of version 1.1.7, which may be
found <a
href="http://main.slony.info/downloads/1.1/slony1-1.1.7.tar.bz2">here</a>.
It fixes several problems that were found in the 1.2 stream that were
readily back-ported to 1.1:
<ul>

sl_event if a node has been out of commission for a long time (several
days)

<li> Add node numbers to error reports in slonik

which node
it was working on.  That way the gentle user gets an indication as to
which node 'broke' if the slonik script contained multiple such
requests.

<li> Applied bug fix for #1538

SYNC.  That allows the cleanup loop to clear out sl_log_{1/2}.
Otherwise, the log tables will forever bloat until you add a second
node...

<li> Added test to test1 for function generate_sync_event() and
make_function_strict

<li> Added "v81" files (for slony1_base.v81.sql, slony1_funcs.v81.sql,
xxid.v81.sql), necessary to support 8.1 "ALTER FUNCTION ... STRICT";

<li> Fixed quoting problem in generate_sync_event()

<li> Added functionality to UPDATE FUNCTIONS to make xxidin() function
STRICT; the absence of this caused postmaster to fall over when
processing MOVE SET event in PG v8.2 (not to say that Slony-I 1.1 now
*supports* 8.2; it does not)

<li> When you run MOVE SET, this populates sl_setsync for the moved set
  even on nodes that are not subscribed.  If, subsequent to doing this,
  you attempt a SUBSCRIBE SET for a formerly-unsubscribed node, the
  subscription will fail right at the end when the slon tries to insert a
  new value to sl_setsync.

  will silently blow away any 'offending' sl_setsync row.

<P>  (As observed by Afilias staff...)

<li> Log shipping fix - storage of sl_setsync_offline call had a wrong
  printf type; change from %d to %s
</ul>
---
Slony-I New Web Site!
http://main.slony.info
2007-03-02
Chris Browne
We are pleased to announce the release of the new Slony-I web site at
<tt>main.slony.info</tt>.
---
Slony-I New CVS Site!
http://main.slony.info/cvs.html
2007-01-20
The Slony-I project is now making active use of CVS repositories at
<tt>cvs.slony.info</tt>; this replaces the former
CVS repositories at gBorg.  We thank the gBorg operators for their
support over the last few years, and Command Prompt for their provision
of hardware, administrative, and hosting services for
<tt>cvs.slony.info</tt>.
---