Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Sun Jun 24 09:32:07 PDT 2007
On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 05:07:32PM -0500, Shaun Thomas wrote:
> But I wonder about something - does slony turn off indexes to facilitate
> the data copy, and then reenable them so they're all created after the
> copy is done?  If that's the case, that could be my problem.  17G is
> about the size of all the tables with no indexes, fully vacuumed.  If
> slony is waiting around forever for the indexes to finish generating
> before committing and declaring the initial copy successful, that could
> account for my idle time.

Yes, that's how Slony (at least in the versions you're using, IIRC)
does it, so it probably is that problem.  I think you need to tell
your vendor that they need to stop fiddling with connections that
might be open in a database.  (A lot of what passes for network
security is nothing but snake oil, and this would be one example, I
think.)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
However important originality may be in some fields, restraint and
adherence to procedure emerge as the more significant virtues in a
great many others.   --Alain de Botton