Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Mon Jun 18 12:41:24 PDT 2007
On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 02:40:13PM -0400, Vivek Khera wrote:
> the RAID was reporing bad sectors (now, why wouldn't the idiotic
> Adaptec RAID hardware controller remap them automagically and just
> keep on chugging along?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?1111111).  I ended up with

I thought that's what RAID was for?  Sigh.  So, ok, it shouldn't be
possible without additional breakage.

Anyway, in such cases, you still just have to rebuild.  There'd be no
way for us to rebuild partially, because how would we know what parts
to rebuild?  (If we knew it was breaking all along, we woulda caught
the error.  Not for us this thing "oh, we know that breaks sometimes.
Run this cleanup command from cron nightly." ;-)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Unfortunately reformatting the Internet is a little more painful
than reformatting your hard drive when it gets out of whack.
		--Scott Morris