Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Tue Dec 18 06:38:20 PST 2007
"Josh Harrison" <joshques at gmail.com> writes:
> Im replicating a database from postrges 7.4(master) to 8.1(slave). This is  a test database of size 6GB. I see all the tables in the slave replication set are being
> locked and Im not able to access them.
> Is this the behavior or did I do something wrong here?
> I thought slony allows the query to be queried when the replication is in progress? So you cant query the slave during the replication?

You are seeing the intended behaviour.

Data is loaded, initially, as one rather large transaction.  (This has
always been the case.)  The result of that is that the initial set of
data is not visible until the subscription completes.

In 1.1 and earlier, the tables were not completely locked; locks were
acquired as work was done, which would progress things up to,
eventually, exclusive locks on the tables in order to add in triggers.
Unfortunately, this sometimes permitted deadlocks.  So in 1.2, the
locks are immediately escalated to table locks right from the start.

It's not really in any sense "worse" than before; you never could have
had access to data in the tables.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ofni.secnanifxunil" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/languages.html