Jan Wieck JanWieck at Yahoo.com
Fri Dec 7 08:30:20 PST 2007
On 12/7/2007 10:48 AM, jwdawso wrote:
> Hi all! I'm a complete novice as far as Slony-I. Is there a license required
> to use Slony-I? If I'm developing a system and selling it that uses Slony-I,
> do I need to acknowledge using Slony-I? I'm not trying to get out of
> something, I just want to make sure I do the correct thing.

Like Postgres, Slony is distributed under the non-advertising BSD
license. Under those terms you are absolutely allowed to include it in
your own, commercial products without acknowledgment.

I am not a lawyer, but as far as I know there is a downside to including
BSD licensed software into a commercial bundle. The software you sell is
subject to liability and therefore, you will be liable for the included
software. Since you got the software under the BSD license, there is
nobody you can hold liable in turn, so if Slony eats a customers data,
the problem is yours. As said, I am not a lawyer. You might want to get
some professional legal counsel on that matter.

Jan