Melvin Davidson mdavidson at cctus.com
Thu Apr 26 14:52:52 PDT 2007
Andrew commented
>It seems silly to encourage people to adopt a particular ordering when
>1) we have no evidence to demonstrate that ordering matters
>2) we haven't identified even a theoretical failure case that is based
on
>ordering
>3) we can't reasonably believe that a given ordering is superior for
>avoiding an unknown issue

Actually, I have encountered a case where the sequence DOES MATTER!

I have two tables with referencial Foreign Key constraints to each
other.
Don't ask why, because that is the way it was when I accepted the
position
and was told I could not change it. However if I find whom it was that
did
it, I am sure they will require hospitalization for some trauma they
will
sustain. :)

The bottom line is, the table that has an insert done on it first MUST
have
a lower id than then second one, as subscribing will fail if the order
is
reversed.

Melvin Davidson
Database Developer
Computer & Communication Technologies, Inc.
6 Inverness Court East, Suite 220
Englewood, CO  80112