Andrew Sullivan ajs
Thu Sep 28 06:56:19 PDT 2006
On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 01:25:57PM -0700, Richard Yen wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, where does primary key info, for replicated
> tables, get stored by slony?

In its control tables.  It's the key by which the table is referenced
during a replication event.  That's why it acts funny.

> I've found that I can manually use ALTER TABLE commands to add,
> remove, or update rows on replicated tables, and slony continues to
> run without any complaints.

That's what you think.  It _looks_ that way, but later it is as
likely as not to blow up.  If you don't use EXECUTE SCRIPT for DDL,
it _will_ break, and in really unpredictable ways (well,
unpredictable to those who haven't done it before.  What happens is
that your triggers have the wrong idea about what your tables look
like, and you corrupt your replica).  Don't do that.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Unfortunately reformatting the Internet is a little more painful
than reformatting your hard drive when it gets out of whack.
		--Scott Morris