Vivek Khera vivek
Tue Sep 19 12:39:34 PDT 2006
On Sep 19, 2006, at 2:25 PM, Andrew Hammond wrote:

> it would be a good idea to at least get an idea of what is on that
> list.

A lot of nifty ideas can be had from how apache has set up their
infrastructure: http://www.apache.org/dev/  of particular not is the
services section, http://www.apache.org/dev/services.html

I'll throw in the list of services I'd like to see:

1) CVS/SVN repo distributed to multiple public points
2) bug tracker
3) website content system (preferably one not built on PHP)  -- could
be a wiki
4) mailing list manager

The DNS needs to be fully redundant and manageable by multiple
entities (preferably not just multiple folk at the same company).

All project data needs to be remotely backed up on some regular
schedule.

The system as a whole needs to be backed up in such a manner that if
the machine fails, a full restore of the system involves just the
time to restore from backup once the replacement machine is powered
up.  Configuring the system as a virtual machine using either vmware
or some moral equivalent makes this part much easier, as the whole
system image is just one file.

The "distributed" source repo would work like this: a central repo
would be accessible to committers only.  The public repos would sync
to this repo on some regular schedule, possibly triggered by a commit
script.  The public would have read-only access to these mirrors.
This is similar to how the FreeBSD project distributes software.