Dave Page dpage
Tue Sep 19 09:06:56 PDT 2006

OK (and this is getting seriously off-topic for this list, so perhaps
replies to -www would be in order), we recently lost a server that
pervasive hosted for us which hosted one of the primary web mirrors,
among other things. This was a dedicated dual Xeon server. Know who we
can blag a replacement from somewhere in mainland Europe?

> > every time I've reported an outage on a
> > Command Prompt hosted server it's had to wait for you
> before it could be
> > resolved.
>
> I may be the person that communicates with the community but I assure
> you that I am not normally the person that resolves the issue.

Maybe not, but it doesn't change the fact that we've had to wait for you
to wake up before things got resolved.

Don't get me wrong, whilst 24x7 is nice, I fully appreciate that you and
any of our other providers are running businesses and can't be expected
to drop everything for us. We (the community) need to stay realistic
about our expectations of any volunteer provider, and do what we can to
be self reliant until such time as we start paying someone to take the
responsibility for us (and with due respect to Andrew, we may be setup
with SPI now, but that doesn't mean we actually have loads of money to
spend on such things - yet).

> It makes sense for me to communicate with the community
> because it is my
> company. The community has a right to hear from *me* about the issue.

Absolutely, and that's a good thing.

Regards, Dave.