Richard Yen dba
Fri Sep 8 12:46:01 PDT 2006
Whoa, I guess there's something I really don't understand about
slony.  Perhaps you can answer some more fundamental questions for me?

As I understand it, the sync_interval parameter is the frequency at
which a SYNC event is sent from the local machine to all other
machines in the cluster.  So if sync_interval is 3000, I'll be
sending SYNC events every 3 seconds.

But what does this say about data changes, like INSERTs and UPDATEs?
Do these wait until the SYNC event is sent, or are they processed ASAP?

Also, I wonder if I'm overly-concerned about lag_time and
lag_num_events; I'm running a 3-node system where all SELECTS go to
the 2 subscribers and all data changes go to the provider.
Naturally, I'd want all the data to be synced ASAP, so that users
don't get confused.  I'm talking about data like contact info,
timestamps, etc.  Right now, I get warning messages when we hit 40
lag_num_events or 60 sec lag_time, whichever comes first.

Any insights?

Thanks for the help!
--Richard