Jan Wieck JanWieck
Mon Oct 9 19:11:16 PDT 2006
On 10/9/2006 8:48 PM, Michael wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I?ve been going through the tutorial for Replicating Your First Database
> and I have a few questions before I touch our  production database.

If you don't have a test environment that's a more or less exact copy of
your production system, there has never been a better time to build one
than right now.

> 1)       in the set add table part of the first script, is there a way
> for me to determine in postgres, which of the tables in a db ( that I
> didn?t design) that do not have a primary key (sort of like the history
> table in the example) before I run this script. I don?t want to have to
> trip over an error each time, I?d like to pre-empt this with a key = serial.

The serial keys added by slony are considered a design flaw to begin
with. Do not use that feature. Make sure that all your tables have a
primary key before you start working with slony on that database.

> 2)       in the third script (the one that validates that the replicated
> db is the same as the master), should I include sequences as well as
> tables for this comparison?

You can do that. Keep in mind however that gaps in sequences are ok. So
as long as you find a replica to be ahead (can happen in crash and
failover scenarios with actual loss of committed transactions), this is
still in accordance with PostgreSQL's semantics of sequences.

Jan