Christopher Browne cbbrowne
Fri Mar 3 16:04:35 PST 2006
Richard Yen wrote:

>I'm trying to upgrade to 1.1.5, but the script fails.
>
>Here's what I do:
>
>% slonik
> > update functions (id = );
>^D
>
>the shell returns with:
>
><stdin>:1: ERROR: syntax error at or near update
>

>Anyone know what could be wrong (is there documentation on this?)

There certainly is documentation; it is included in doc/adminguide, in
DocBook SGML form, as well as in HTML form in a tarball distributed
nearby the sources.  I also publish it at my web site; URLs below.

Two pretty clear problems:

1.  No preamble.

http://linuxfinances.info/info/hdrcmds.html

"The following commands must appear as a "preamble" at the beginning of
each *slonik* command script."

The necessary "preamble" commands are:
- cluster name
- admin conninfo

2.  You didn't specify which node you were updating.

http://linuxfinances.info/info/stmtupdatefunctions.html

You need to specify something like

update functions (id = 1);

(supposing you have a node 1).

You need to update functions on each node in the cluster.