Rod Taylor pg
Wed Mar 1 22:04:35 PST 2006
On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 00:38 -0500, cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info wrote:

> >> I'd be inclined to wait 'til the end and merge them all, but that's just
> >> me...
> >
> > I've ran into pretty big performance problems with more than a few sets.
> > The query for querying for data ends up with a large number of OR's in
> > the where clause.
>
> Take a look at the 1.1 schema; there's an extra index on sl_log_1/sl_log_2
> which seems to make an *enormous* difference when you have more than one
> set.

Yeah. I already had that back in 1.0.2 -- but my version of Slony at the
time wasn't exactly standard.

The problem, when I last looked, is if you have say 1000 tables (thus
1000 sets) you end up with an absolutely huge WHERE clause that burns a
significant amount of CPU time. It appeared that a large chunk of this
was actually duplicated logic that could be reduced or eliminated but
that is as far as I took it. I started merging sets together earlier
instead.