Christopher Nielsen christopher.nielsen
Wed Jun 21 19:51:30 PDT 2006
Hi there,

I recently started using Slony to replicate some tables across three nodes.
The install went well, and the web application using the new pool of db
servers is faster and can handle much more capacity than before.  We're
really glad we ran into Slony when we needed it.

Recently, though, I added two subscriber nodes to our slony setup and
subscribed them to our replication set.

Shortly after, the slon instance connecting to the provider database began
emitting an error I'm not sure how to interpret:

   ERROR  remoteListenThread_5: db_getLocalNodeId() returned 4 - wrong
database?

After searching the web and the mailinglist, it seems like a wrong database
name specified in the connection string could cause this.  I did try
connecting manually with that info, though, and it does work.  Can someone
point me in the right direction to tell what's going on?

I think eventually I should be able to tell if something's wrong by looking
at the _clustername.* tables, but I don't think I'm there yet.

Luckily, the two new nodes, still synchronized with the provider node, but
since the error keeps repeating, it seems like something significant's
happened. (maybe I specified a wrong store path() ?)

Here's some background on my setup, in case it helps:

   database:  postgres 8.1.3
   slony version: 1.1.5
   os: linux 2.6

   1 - provider node
   4 - subscribers
   1 - replication set
   286 - tables (most tables have hundreds/thousands of rows, but a few have
~1-10 million)

Thanks very much, if someone has a sec. for this,

Chris