Christopher Browne cbbrowne
Mon Jul 17 07:04:54 PDT 2006
Steve Singer wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jul 2006, Christopher Browne wrote:
>
>> I take it that you're meaning, here, that, in the samples below,
>> there's a bunch of sort of "gratuitous messages" that look scary, and
>> that if we replaced them with better, it would be better?  Otherwise
>> I'm not entirely sure...
>
> Basically. Replacing the big scary error message with a short sentence.
I can replace the bits that start with "ERROR: Slony-I: " with some
improved message.

I have gone further, and added to the admin guide, for SET ADD TABLE, a
list of the error messages that can pop up, and what they mean.

It's probably an idea to do the same for all Slonik commands.

Removing the prefix material would make it more difficult to trace
things, so I'm reluctant to do that.  There's a place for friendlier
messages; I'd be concerned that removing information may make it
hard/impossible to trace things.