Jim C. Nasby jnasby
Fri Feb 24 15:23:42 PST 2006
On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 11:30:45AM -0500, Jan Wieck wrote:
> Which leads to yet another problem. What does Slony do if the admin
> creates a table without a primary or even without any possile candidate
> key? Don't replicate the table? Abort the CREATE TABLE?

Well, CREATE TABLE is something that doesn't make sense to replicate
automatically. What does make sense is having slony be able to push out
the definition for a table that was just added to a set, as well as
optionally picking up DDL changes made to the table down-the-road.

> And how exactly do I tell Slony (after it got all that super smart to
> master DDL all by itself) that I want a different set of indexes on
> "this particular replica", because that's my search engine server?

Make DDL replication optional.

BTW, just being able to push DDL out without all the locking that
execute_script requires would probably be a big win.
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby at pervasive.com