Andrew Sullivan ajs
Mon Dec 11 08:33:41 PST 2006
On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 05:22:58PM +0100, Filip Rembia??kowski wrote:

> 1. slave# alter table prod add price numeric
> 2. master# alter table prod add price numeric
> 3. master# alter table prod alter price set default 0
> 4. slave# alter table prod alter price set default 0
> 5. master# update prod set price=0 where price is null
> 6. master# alter table prod alter price set not null
> 7. slave# alter table prod alter price set not null
>
> that's all :) remote writers are happy.

No.  This is exactly the sort of case that will fail at some random
time in the future.  You are going to be surprised by its failure,
and completely perplexed.  But if your transaction count gets big
enough, this _will_ fail, I promise you.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
If they don't do anything, we don't need their acronym.
		--Josh Hamilton, on the US FEMA